“You are not alone; the centuries fight for you; eternity is your ally. You are in the keeping of the one who holds you with love that will not let you go.” Author Unknown
PHILOSOPHY AND MISSION
In 2002, Institute of the Southwest, a 501(c)3 public charity and California educational corporation, branched out into the world of horse rescue. Under the project title, Spirit of Equus Rescue, the organization focused on providing a sanctuary or sacred place for horses in crisis, assisting in the re-homing of horses in the field, creating a herd-based approach to the holistic healing of horses entering the sanctuary, and continuing our emphasis on education by providing workshops, courses and publications for the benefit of the public.
Spirit of Equus Rescue’s horse-centered philosophy has evolved over time, but its basic foundation has not changed. We are committed to:
- Respect for the individuality of each horse and his/her emotional needs
- Use of gentle, natural horsemanship techniques based on an understanding of prey animal and herd behavior
- High levels of communication: verbal, physical and telepathic
- The herd-life as one of the essential healing mechanisms for all horses
- Goal: Providing a natural physical and energetic environment with open spaces, varied terrain, grazing, trees.
- Creating partnerships.
- Holistic Modalities: We utilize a variety of healing modalities to support the horses including animal communication, herbology, Avazzia biofeedback treatments, cold laser treatments, massage, energy medicine including acupressure and our computer-based HTS system ecapsules.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Thou shalt fly without wings
and be held in awe
Thou shalt live in your moment and be respected
Thou shalt speak your language and be heard
Thou shalt commune with your own kind and never be alone
Thou shalt graze on verdant pastures and never be hungry
Thou shalt be comforted in your pain, healed in your sickness, and in your own time, released from your distress.
Thou shalt die with dignity in the presence of love and be returned to Mother earth.
Copyright Institute of the Southwest, 2002.
We are opposed to horse slaughter for any reason, under any circumstances.
We are opposed to the PMU industry on the grounds it is inhumane in the confinement of mares and the slaughter of their foals.
We are advocates for reform in the horse racing industry. Please visit our Equine Health and Welfare section under Education for details.